Vitamin B5 or Provitamin B5 – chances are high that you’d have seen any of these names on the ingredients list of skin care or hair care products. In fact, you will find an entire range of products focusing on this essential skin care ingredient. This is because vitamin B5 (or pantothenic acid) offers immense benefits for your skin. It not only moisturizes and rejuvenates your skin but also helps tackle skin issues like dryness, itchiness, and redness. Let’s find out more about this wonder ingredient.
What Is Pantothenic Acid Or Vitamin B5?
Vitamin B5 is a water-soluble vitamin and is mainly found in plant- and animal-based foods, such as eggs, meat, vegetables, legumes, cereals, and milk. It is one of the B-complex vitamins, which regulate multiple physiological processes inside your body and are considered the building blocks of your overall health.
Vitamin B5 is commercially available as pantothenic acid, which is a chemical prepared in laboratories. Pantothenic acid is widely used in skin and hair care products and also in medicines and supplements for oral consumption.
Provitamin B5 (or panthenol) is the alcohol form of vitamin B5 or pantothenic acid.
Your body needs vitamin B5 to
- Maintain proper functioning of your liver and the nervous system
- Keep your digestive tract working properly
- Produce red blood cells (RBCs) to supply oxygen throughout your body
- Maintain healthy skin, eyes, and hair
You can easily maintain a supply of vitamin B5 by following a balanced diet that includes:
- Fish and seafood (such as salmon and lobster)
- Meat (such as beef, chicken, and turkey)
- Dairy products (such as yogurt, milk, and milk products)Legumes (such as soybeans and split peas)
- Grains (especially whole grains)
- Vegetables (such as broccoli, avocado, cauliflower, cabbage, tomatoes, corn, and sweet potatoes)
Panthothenic acid or vitamin B5 is listed in skin care products under the names d-panthenol (Provitamin B5), dexpanthenol, and dl-panthenol.
Pantothenic acid helps to maintain the skin’s quality by rejuvenating and soothing it. Let’s understand what it does to your skin in detail.
Skin Benefits Of Pantothenic Acid Or Vitamin B5
1. It Keeps Your Skin Moisturized
Applying vitamin B5 prevents water loss from your skin and helps in retaining moisture. This, in turn, prevents dry skin, flakiness, and itchiness and maintains softness and elasticity of your skin (1). It also helps to maintain the skin barrier function (2). This property of vitamin B5 is beneficial in healing atopic dermatitis (3).
2. It Prevents Skin Redness And Inflammation
Dexpanthenol has an anti-inflammatory effect on your skin. When applied topically, it protects your skin from erythema or redness caused by UV exposure (1).
A study found that dexpanthenol minimized skin roughness and inflammation caused by SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulfate), an ingredient commonly found in skin and hair care products (4).
Another study also found that it could help in managing skin irritation and napkin dermatitis or diaper rash (3).
3. It Can Heal Wounds
Applying pantothenic acid can heal wounds and make scars less visible (1). This is because pantothenic acid boosts the development of structural proteins (such as collagen) that your skin needs.
4. It Is An Effective Antioxidant
Provitamin B5 or d-panthenol boosts the production of glutathione in your skin. This component binds the free radicals and peroxides, which, in turn, reduces the formation of melanin and minimizes the appearance of dark spots on your face (5).
5. It Has Anti-Aging Effects
Pantothenic acid or Provitamin B5 helps in the production of fibroblasts in the middle layer of your skin (the layer where wrinkles form) and boosts collagen, glycan, and elastin production, which makes your skin appear youthful (5).
Impressive, right? Bet you can’t wait to use it on your skin and see the magic! Here is a list of vitamin B5 products that you may try.
Best Skin Care Products With Vitamin B5 Or Pantothenic Acid
1. The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5
This is a powerful blend of hyaluronic acid and vitamin B5 that enhances the hydration levels of your skin. It makes your skin soft and supple and improves its texture.
Buy it here!
2. Skin 90210 Hydrating Panthenol Cleanser
This soap-free cleanser soothes and hydrates your skin. It contains panthenol and allantoin that prevent moisture loss and remove dead skin cells and dirt without irritating the skin.
Buy it here!
3. 1004 Laboratory Panthenol V-Shield Cream
Have extra sensitive skin? Then, this cream is what you need. It calms dry skin, strengthens the barrier repair function, and softens the skin. It contains sea buckthorn tree water, vitamin E, and panthenol that take care of your skin without irritating it.
Buy it here!
4. L’aturajeu Glacier Water Daily Facial Toner
This light and gentle toner is rich in minerals. It adjusts the pH balance of your skin and keeps it hydrated. It contains panthenol that calms your skin down by strengthening its barrier repair function. It also promotes the permeability of your skin so that it can absorb other skin care products quickly.
Buy it here!
5. Nivea Body Lotion With Provitamin B5
This body lotion is specially formulated for very dry and rough skin. It provides intense hydration and claims to soothe your skin after just one application. It is dermatologically tested.
Buy it here!
Incorporate vitamin B5 into your daily skin care routine, and you will be amazed by the results. Try any of these products and don’t forget to share the results with us in the comments section below.
- “Topical use of dexpanthenol is skin disorders.” American Journal of Dermatology.
- “Effect of topically applied dexpanthenol..” Arzneimittel-Forschung, US National Library of Medicine.
- “Topical use of dexpanthenol: A 70th Anniversary Article” Journal of Dermatological Treatment, Taylor & Francis Online.
- “Dexpanthenol enhances skin barrier repair..” The Journal of Dermatological Treatment.
- “Comparison of Anti-Aging Effect..” International Journal of PharmTech Research.
The post Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid): How Does It Benefit Your Skin? appeared first on STYLECRAZE.