Periods are that time of the month when a woman is capable of showcasing all her avatars. We’re so sure no one would dare to disagree with that. But, women also have a tendency to hide the problems they face during their periods. We are quick to judge the mood swings and emotional behavior in a woman and tell, “Hey! She must be on her periods.” But we never really care to understand the problems behind it. During periods, women are capable of having an uncountable number of mood swings. It happens as a result of the imbalance in their hormones. And human body tends to react immediately towards hormonal change. And the best way to ease this period discomfort is to help yourselves by working out. Yes, you can definitely exercise even while on your periods. However, you shouldn’t strain yourself while doing it as it can worsen the situation of your period cramps. To help you know how to exercise and what exercises can be done during your periods, we’ve put together a list below. Read on.
It is one of the best and easiest physical activity to undertake during your periods. A simple walk will release the tension in your muscles, it will loosen out your lower back and relax the muscles in your pelvic area. It even relieves bloating. This gentle activity can make your period day happier. Ensure to walk for at least 30 minutes a day. Walking causes a lot of leg movement which relieves your body pains.
Make a note that you shouldn’t brisk walk. It could increase the bleeding in some women. Normal paced walking is the key to relief here.
2. Leg Lifts
Exercising during periods doesn’t demand you to go hit the gym or get out of your homes. You can exercise in the comfort of your house. One such exercise that you could do even in your living room is leg lift. Doing leg lifts will relax the muscles around your abdomen, pelvic, and back muscles. Leg lifts will also give your thighs some TLC (tender loving care). Here’s how you do it:
- Lie down on a mat. Then, straighten your legs out.
- Slowly, lift your right leg up such that it creates right angles.
- Hold your leg in the air for two-three seconds and slowly release your leg and bring it back to its original position.
- Do the same with the left leg to complete one set. Do 5-10 reps every day.
If it’s your lower back that gives you nightmares during periods, then plank is the answer to your problem. Doing planks will strengthen your back in addition to easing out the pain. Your butt, abs, and hips also benefit from this exercise. Here’s how you do it:
- You need to get down on your fours while doing a plank. Place your hands shoulder-width apart, and support your upper body by touching your elbows and forearm to the floor. And your knees need to be hip-width apart.
- Stretch your feet backward. In order to support yourself, you will have to flex at your heels. Make sure your back is straight and your elbows are lower towards the ground.
- Hold yourself in this position for 10-15 seconds and release.
4. Child’s Pose
Also known as balasana, this exercise is bound to calm you down and restore your body with energy. This exercise releases the tension in the back muscles and makes it more flexible and stronger. It also improves digestion and eases the pain around hips as well. All of these benefits make this exercise beneficial during periods. Here’s how you do it:
- Roll out a mat and kneel down on it. Do it in a way that your buttocks are resting on your feet.
- Now, bend forward such that your torso is touching your thighs.
- Touch your forehead on the mat and stretch your arms forward or just relax by placing them on the sides of your body.
- Hold yourself in this position for 15 seconds. And remember to take deep breaths while doing this exercise.
Yoga To Regularize Your Irregular Periods
Irregular periods are an outcome of many things. The factors might be psychological or physiological. Stress in both these factors can increase the level of progesterone hormone in your body which can lead to menstrual irregularities which include delayed periods.
The best way to battle this without putting your hands inside a medicine cabinet is to practice yoga. Meditation, controlled breathing, and harnessing positive energy will help you regularize your periods. Therefore, start meditation, perform yoga asanas like dhanurasana (bow pose), halasana (plow pose), ustrasana (camel pose). All these yoga postures will help you strengthen your back, increase the blood flow to your uterus and will help you have your periods on time.
We totally understand how periods can throw your daily routines off the course. From handling your emotions to your sleeping schedule, it’s a huge mess during this time. The above exercises will definitely make your period days happier. If you think we’ve missed out on anything, do let us know in the comments below.
The post 4 Types Of Exercises To Do When You Have Your Periods appeared first on STYLECRAZE.